Monday, May 18, 2009

This is definitely one of the strangest film I've ever watched. And I am still feeling so confused by the ending that I can't even decide whether I enjoyed the film or not. While the experience was surely an engaging one, as I think the film is quite beautifully shot and there were many nuances for the audience to decipher and ponder over. And the haunting close ups were really intense (like that freaking long take on Nicole Kidman), which were really effective in capturing the audience's interests who would have otherwise fallen asleep cos everything was just "I'm Sean. And I love Anna." - Sean. "Anna, you're hurting me"-Anna. Zzzzzzz
OK there's more variety to those lines, but basically that's the gist of what they were trying to say, especially for Sean's part. Nicole Kidman was great as the tormented Anna as it sure was as tormenting as hell watching her. And at the end, I was kind of hoping she would drown herself cos well, life's not worth living if it had made a fool out of you. This is one of the film's more successful bits, cos you really feel for Anna. And when you found out everything's so screwed up, at least when I did, my first instinct would be to throw something and hope that it hits Sean, only to hit myself with that silly thought that I'm facing a screen. 
Well, but I guess the director already kind of warned his audience that we're watching a damn screwed up film. In the sense that I was stunned by his choice of music for his opening. I mean, look at the film cover! Does it look like it would be accompanied by those orchestral music think- disney cartoons, complete with, get this, SWEET LITTLE BIRDS CHIRPING? 
So I guess, I like it cos it really is a refreshing film, though I think the ending was a little too abrupt. But perhaps, that whole disturbing the audience thing was kind of the director's point, and to incite a more violent reaction like throwing something at his film maybe, and flashing neon coloured wtfs in the head, instead of merely knotting eyebrows and squirming bottoms... but that uncomfortable reaction was rather uncalled for -.- 

And it was quite fun to feel royally screwed up in a proxy kind of way? 

No comments:

Post a Comment